Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ramayana

An epic most read, heard and seen in every home in India. Thanks to the media channels which telecasted this wonderful epic since my childhood days. I grew up watching this epic every weekend along with my Grand Ma. An epic which tells you a tale of Good and Evil or Good versus Evil. Just like any kid fond of hearing any kind of stories, I saw and heard this epic through curriculum, television and from my Grand Ma. An epic which throws light on many characters and incidents and also draws certain morals at frequent intervals. It's a story about kingdom, family, love, envy, struggle, courage, patience and victory of course.

I believe the epic Ramayana dates back around 11th century. Though many characters are involved in this wonderful epic, most popular ones happen to be Rama (The Good), his wife Sita and Raavana (The Evil). This story prevails around these characters and no wonder why people praise, pray and fall in love with Rama and Sita and curse the evil soul, Raavana.

Here comes a Tamil movie "Raavanan" in this 21st century, I should say a modern day Ramayana, a movie directed by my most favorite director Mr. Manirathinam. Anyone could easily relate the characters in the movie to the epic Ramayana. The story is nothing new but there was this slight line which takes a bend and leaves us a question about the evil soul (at least that's how it's portrayed always). What if there happen to be a beautiful, soul inspiring quality with the so called evil person? This slight touch is what Raavanan movie is all about.

And the portrayal of Rama and Raavana in this movie is just a reverse to the original epic Ramayana. Just like a coin has both the sides, Rama (Dev) has a Grey side (Not a black side though) while Raavana (Veera) has a "Pink" side (as he's good and lures towards Raagini ;-) )

Let me leave the story for now, there was something about a particular scene I really felt haunting. Many a times I heard and seen elders who usually love to bless any young girls by wishing her a husband like Rama. I was neither excited or felt sad about it. But now after watching this movie (Probably, I didn't understand and realize this sort of question as a kid) in one particular scene when Dev suspects her wife Raagini's fidelity (like in the epic, Ramayana) I felt extremely odd. That's the most disgusting question that any husband could ask a wife (especially to a woman like Sita). What an awful way to hurt a woman.

Rama, a person (or a God) of such caliber as shown in that epic could ask such a question, then he's definitely not the ultimate husband as our elders think (sorry, it's no more a blessing!). Honestly, it's not right. I am so sorry to say this statement and I don't mean to hurt any one's sentiments or religious beliefs. And here I get a prompt reply from someone saying that it so happened because of the fear of society then. No wonder the shame still continues as most live and fear for others than for themselves. Whatever could be the reason, that's something beyond any repair and I am not buying it either.

Who knows? There could be a Rama in a Raavana and vice versa. No one is perfect. It not only applies to us but to God himself (If only you assume Rama to be). And I am in love with Mr. Manirathinam's version of Raavanan (a movie) and definitely not with Kambar's Rama (an epic).

2 comments: