Friday, July 9, 2010

Stock Market

I first heard this term through my curriculum. I had no idea what it would be like in spite of learning it. I always wanted to graduate in English Literature to explore the Shakespearean world but somehow fate had other plans for me. I have graduated and also did my master's in Economics and I never felt happy about it. Couple of years back I got an opportunity to try my hand in stock market trading along with my brother. We were like two crazy little kids trying to enjoy with it rather than learning it in first place. Result of it was we both were severely, badly hurt by the too much of fun. Then we both have decided to stay out of it anytime, all our life.

After coming to US, I happened to hear about some of the great legends in stock market investing and the first thing I did was started to read their books. Although I was not sure at that time whether I would be either trading or investing in stock market, I read some of the wonderful books and was amazed by the interesting facts from the legends in this business. All my life from what I heard I was in a notion that stock market is only about gambling until I came across few amazing people in this business like Warren Buffet, Peter Lynch, Benjamin Graham and so on.

Now I can tell that I know little about this industry and can advice people to learn about it rather than have fun with the numbers. And for the first time in my life I feel that I am so happy that I am an economic student. Now it really makes sense (my love will always remain with the Shakespearean world though). Stock market is not a gambling business if you handle it properly. Its an wonderful investment opportunity for the people who can learn and be patient. Think about long term investment and please think about stock market. The best advices on stock market that I could sum up for you are laid below...

Learn more about some of the legends in this business and start investing early in life, don't trade stocks.

Pick some quality stocks and invest for a longer period of time. Own some good long term growth stocks. Longer your time horizon, lower is your risk.

Diversify your investment. You should not invest in one particular stock. You should pick few quality stocks instead. Consider holding few dividend paying stocks in your portfolio.

Don't invest in stocks all at once. Invest over a period of time. Invest when the stock market falls and don't when it is so high. Buy low, sell high.

Be patient. Be an investor, not a speculator. You should never be greedy in this business.

2 comments:

  1. akila u must know dis when ur trading in long tram investment na

    "
    Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful” - Warren Buffett

    "

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I will always remember this quote from Mr.Warren Buffet.

    ReplyDelete