Thursday, January 20, 2011

Steve Jobs Quotes

Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc, a popular face in America and around the world, a man I happen to know through my reading, a visionary of innovation and who's health is a big concern right now because of his pancreatic cancer. He's someone I admire most, his product I would love to own, an individual the world will always look up to for his amazing innovations. Once someone said to me, 'people are so crazy about Apple to the level even if Steve Jobs shows a "crap" they are willing to buy it, such mad rush for Apple products'. I believe it's something Steve Jobs and his company earned from customers all these years, I deny the term "crap" though. I would call it loyalty instead. Their innovation speaks volumes and the kind of product line they introduced remains way ahead of time. An amazing perfectionist who tries to bring the simplicity in his every product, no doubt he is "The Man of Technology Innovation". Get well soon Mr. Steve. World needs more from you and from your lovable Apple. My prayers and best wishes are with you.

With that I want to share some of his quotes here. Please don't miss the video below, a must watch, his life and struggle in his own words (his Stanford Commencement speech in 2005)...

My model for business is the Beatles. They were four guys that kept each other’s negative tendencies in check; they balanced each other. And the total was greater than the sum of the parts. Great things in business are not done by one person; they are done by a team of people.

You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.
 

Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It's best to admit them quickly and get on with improving your other innovations.

It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.

When the dot-com bubble burst, what I told our company was that we were just going to invest our way through the downturn, that we weren’t going to lay off people, that we’d taken a tremendous amount of effort to get them into Apple in the first place – the last thing we were going to do is lay them off.


So when a good idea comes, you know, part of my job is to move it around, just see what different people think, get people talking about it, argue with people about it, get ideas moving among that group of 100 people, get different people together to explore different aspects of it quietly, and, you know – just explore things.

When I hire somebody really senior, competence is the ante. They have to be really smart. But the real issue for me is, Are they going to fall in love with Apple? Because if they fall in love with Apple, everything else will take care of itself. They’ll want to do what’s best for Apple, not what’s best for them, what’s best for Steve, or anybody else. 

I was worth about over a million dollars when I was twenty-three and over ten million dollars when I was twenty-four, and over a hundred million dollars when I was twenty-five and it wasn't that important because I never did it for the money.

I'm the only person I know that's lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year, It's very character-building.

Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me… Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful… that's what matters to me.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. 

If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. 

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Stay hungry. Stay foolish.


No comments:

Post a Comment